Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Some Quick and Easy Sloppy Joes For Dinner the Night Before Thanksgiving

You have enough Thanksgiving food in your refrigerator to feed a football team, but you still need to feed your family dinner, how about a kid favorite - sloppy joes! Just grab your favorite allergen free bread and if you have some extra potatoes, try my herb roasted potatoes as a side (see Lisa Shops Allergen Free at Rose's Bakery and Hamburgers with Roasted Potatoes).


I am so thankful for all the blessings in my life, my family, my wonderful husband Mark and most recently my health. I am also thankful for the new friends I have met thru learning about my food allergies, the "cyber shoulder to cry on" and cheerful encouragement have meant the world to me. I encourage you to share your families stories about food allergies with me, I would love to feature some on my blog, there is so much to learn from others...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!


Sloppy Joes

Serves 4
Kids love these sloppy joes and they are so easy to make. You can use any color peppers you have on hand, yellow peppers were on sale when I made these.

1 pound lean ground beef
¼ cup onion, minced
¼ cup green bell pepper, minced
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried mustard
¾ cup ketchup
2 tablespoons honey
Kosher salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste


In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and honey; mix thoroughly.
Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Season with Kosher salt and ground black pepper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems like you hava a passion for cooking allergy free foods. Feel free to sign up for the Allergy Friendly Restaurants directory that is a resource for people looking for allergy friendly restaurants in their area.