Sunday, December 21, 2008

Appetizers for New Years Eve!

I have been a little lax in my posts lately and I want you to know why. I am currently attending culinary school (The Culinary and Hospitality Institute of Chicago, A Cordon Bleu School) to learn all the tricks that can take my recipes over the top. I am so inspired to create delicious allergen-free foods; I want to make it my career. Well, this past week was my final for Garde Manger which is a very difficult station in the kitchen. It includes buffets, canapés, breakfast foods and sandwiches (really a lot). Anyway, I am finished and got an A, so my posts should go back to normal. Thanks for your patience, I promise it will be worth your while…

The big night is coming; do you have your menu set? As promised, here are a few more appetizers to go along with the ones in my post titled Lisa Entertains Allergen Free: Appetizers to Serve at Your Next Party. Today’s recipes are simple and easy, you can prpare them in advance (except the Brown Sugar Bacon Bites) to help keep you out of the kitchen all night.

2009 is going to be very exciting; I have some very special events and giveaways planned for you. Make sure to sign up to follow my blog to keep up to date.

On to the food!

Salsa
Serves 8

½ cup cilantro, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 cup onions, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced (if you like it hot)
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon Kosher salt

Mix all ingredients together and grab some tortilla chips.

Melon and Prosciutto



1 large honeydew melon, cut into 1” squares (can use cantaloupe, I did)
½ pound prosciutto, cut into 1” strips
tooth picks

Really easy!
Wrap prosciutto around melon and secure with tooth pick or you can make melon balls and wrap prosciutto around melon like a present (see picture).

Brown Sugar Bacon Bites
Serves 6-8



1 pound thick cut bacon
½ cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried mustard

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Place cooling rack over aluminum foil on baking sheet.
Mix maple syrup and dried mustard in a bowl.
Cut bacon into bite sized pieces and generously place brown sugar mixture on one side of bacon.
Place bacon strips on cooling rack in a single layer, brown sugar side up, it will take you a few sheets to complete the whole pound of bacon.
Bake for 10-15 minutes and serve immediately.

If you are sensitive to sugar, maple syrup is a yummy alternative.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Sounds yummy!! Bacon makes everything better!