Saturday, June 6, 2009

Food: The Other Pathway to Calcium

My apologies, allergenistas, for not posting any new recipes this week but I’ve been on the mend, nursing a sprained ankle. But don’t worry; I’ll be up and running this week! I’d like to recommend you visit godairyfree.org, a one-stop resource for those with dairy allergies or dairy intolerances. The site’s mastermind is Alisa Fleming, who recently published Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-Free Living. Alisa also blogs at One Frugal Foodie and tweets at Go Dairy Free. Along with recipes, tons of health information, and a challenge to eliminate dairy from your diet in just ten days, godairyfree.org also features a table that demonstrates how we don’t need to rely exclusively on supplements to ensure we’re getting enough calcium. Rather, we can feast from a variety of calcium-rich foods, including vegetables, beans, grains, nuts, soy products, and even molasses!

Alisa kindly gave me permission to share this table with my readers. Thanks, Alisa!

You can access the table here. I’d love to know your thoughts!

For more information on Alisa and dairy-free living, please visit godairyfree.org.

No comments: