Sunday, October 12, 2008

Shopping-Wise and Chicken Vesuvio Your Family Will Love

Another thing I had to change for my new lifestyle is where I shopped. I could still buy the products I needed at the main grocery store where I normally shopped. But now I’m buying a lot more fruits and vegetables, and I found it was helpful to look in other places for the best deals. Check out the following stores to see if they have products that your family likes:

· Fruit/Vegetable Stands or Farmer’s Markets
· Discount buying stores like Costco and Sam’s Club
· Organic/Health Food Stores
· Extreme Specialty Stores– These stores have great selections of allergen-free products, if you are looking for that great bread you can find some really great mixes in these stores.

And if you like a product that you can’t find in your local store, ask your grocer to stock it, often they will. If we all start asking for the foodstuffs we want, our choices, selections, and shopping will start to change for the better.

This recipe is one of my favorites, the pan juices make the chicken so tender and juicy. Sometimes if I don't have a whole chicken, I use thighs or whatever I have as long as it has the bone.

Chicken Vesuvio

1 whole chicken, cut in pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup white wine
½ cup chicken stock
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 large russet potatoes, sliced length-wise and lightly blanched
1 cup frozen peas

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Partially boil potatoes, cut in quarters and set aside.
Lightly season chicken with Kosher salt and ground black pepper.
To a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and chicken skin side down.
Brown first side (about 5-7 minutes and flip).
Add white wine, chicken stock, garlic powder, Kosher salt, oregano, ground black pepper and Italian flat leaf parsley.
Remove chicken from heat and add quartered potatoes.
Place chicken in oven for 15 minutes, baste and add frozen peas.
Cook another 45 minutes or until thigh is internal temperature of 180°F.

2 comments:

Claire Helena said...

I can NOT wait to try this recipe! Everything you have ever made me or any recipe you've sent my way thus far has been out of this world!

MCD said...

Yum that looks good! I am always looking for new chicken recipes.