Friday, June 25, 2010

Taste of Chicago is Here Again, What is Safe This Year for Allergenistas?

The Taste of Chicago can be very difficult to navigate with food allergies. So to make it a little easier for my favorite allergenistas, I have compiled a list of vendors that includes their menu and whether their food contains any of the Big Bad 8 allergens and gluten. I have included the menus for all vendors, even if I wasn’t able to make contact with the restaurant found on page 7. Please make sure when you go to the Taste, your investigation doesn’t stop with this list, ask questions about the ingredients when you get to the booth, ask to see the packaging on any sauces that may be in question and take a definitely watch how your food is being prepared to make sure that proper protocol is being used to avoid cross-contamination.

Bear in mind that the Taste is an incredibly busy event and the staff is hired especially for the Taste, so training in regards to food allergies is sometimes lacking. There are also cross contamination issues that are present in this open air event. Please use additional care when choosing where to eat and use your best judgment. If you have any reservations, it is probably best to pass on that item or vendor. This list is to be used as a starting point; the rest is up to you! Enjoy!

Click here to get the Taste of Chicago Allergenista guide.

3 comments:

SmileGirl said...

I think it is so awesome that you do this!!! :) Thank you!

iampalegreen said...

Whoa! THANK YOU!!! I'm using this as my guide! You ROCK!

Lisa Cooks Allergen Free said...

Awe, thanks guys, I am updating this as restaurants call me back, make sure you print right before you go...