Thursday, July 22, 2010

Betty Crocker – Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix

I don’t eat dairy, so I had to bow out on this tasting, but I found two great judges, that can eat gluten. If they like it, you know it has to be good. So Alivia and Mark were the tasters and as the cake baked in the oven, I kept hearing, “when is it going to be done?”

Just because I couldn’t enjoy the cake didn’t mean I wanted to skip on dessert, so I decided to make a strawberry topping I could enjoy sans cake. As I went to the grocery store to get some fresh strawberries I had to issue a warning not to touch the cake until I got back. A good sign!

Well, the results were positive; the cake was fluffy in texture and rose in the pan just like a gluten filled cake would. I cut the cake thru the center, added the strawberry mixture in the middle of the cake and also drizzled some on top. They really loved this cake, in fact when I got back from teaching today, I found only a small piece left, so I guess this cake would also be good for nibbling, I opened the bag to see how it retained its moisture and it still felt fresh and soft. Alivia described this cake as just sweet enough and that she never would have known it was gluten free. Thanks Betty, now please make a dairy free, egg free version so we can all enjoy, I can’t wait!

Make this strawberry topping at home, it’s great on your favorite cakes or just plain.

Strawberry topping

1-16 ounce container of fresh strawberries, cleaned with tops trimmed
¼ cup of sugar
juice and zest of ¼ lemon
juice and zest of ¼ orange

Mix strawberries and sugar together, let sit for 20 minutes.
Squeeze in lemon and orange juice and add zest, mix thoroughly.
Take ¼ of strawberry mixture and place in blender until liquid.
Add back to strawberries, mix and serve on your favorite cake.

No comments: