Monday, October 20, 2008

Avoid Dinner Dread & Hearty Beef Stew

Once I had established a few meals I knew were safe, my husband and I ate a meal rotation of 3-4 meals and it got quite boring after a few weeks. Now is the time to be creative, and open to try things you might not have thought of before.

I never would have eaten salads with fruit in it before, but now it’s one of my favorite meals. You’ll find that your tastes change with this new way of eating, and it’s a good idea to give foods you might not have liked before another try. It is so important to play with different foods and see what you like now since we are limited in our choices. But there are so many interesting, delicious foods out there, it can be a great adventure.

Back to a family classic...
My great grandmother used to make the best beef stew with fresh biscuits and as the weather turns colder, I thought time to make it allergen-free. I am still working on the biscuit part, but cut up toasted allergen-free bread of your choice works nicely for now.

Beef Stew



½ cup seasoned flour (see below)
2 pounds chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 quart hot water
2 cups potatoes, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
½ cup parsnip, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
½ cup onion, diced
1½ teaspoons Kosher salt
2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon Beef Base

Roll chuck in seasoned flour (see below).
In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add extra-virgin olive oil and brown chuck thoroughly.
Cover with hot water.
Simmer 2 hours, adding water if necessary.
Add remaining ingredients and cook 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add Roux to stew to thicken (if necessary, a roux is equal parts fat and flour - I use ½ rice flour and ½ potato starch in my flour mix)

This dish is better the next day if you can wait!

Seasoned Flour
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup rice flour
¼ cup potato starch
½ teaspoon paprika

Mix together and store in air-tight container in cool dry place.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

We're going to have a little cold-snap down here this week. I think I'll make this stew for that cold day...70*...don't laugh! It hasn't been that cool here for a whole year!!!
So where do I find potato starch? I've never heard of it?

Lisa Cooks Allergen Free said...

Hi Lisa,
Whole Foods has potato starch.
Thanks,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Potato starch is also often available in the "Kosher" section of standard grocery store...sometimes in a blue box next to the matzoh meal