Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Back to the Pleasures of Eating Out and Easy BBQ Ribs

When I was first diagnosed with food allergies, I rarely ate out, and when I did go to restaurants, I would just wait to come home to eat. This would be extremely difficult if I was gone all day.

It was easy to avoid foods that I shouldn't eat when I stayed home, but that wasn't practical, so I ventured into my first restaurant to eat "post allergies". Have you ever seen the movie, "When Harry Met Sally", the scene in the restaurant where Sally drives the waitress and Harry crazy with all her questions and requests? Ask questions about everything! It may seem uncomfortable at first, but it is your health and you are worth it.
  • What oil do you use to cook your foods?
  • Are your fries coated with anything?
  • Can you cook my eggs with canola oil instead of butter?
  • Can I substitute the cheese on my burger for some advocado?

Whatever applies to your allergies - you are paying for the food and are entitled to stay safe.

Once I figured out how to stay safe in restaurants I haven’t looked back since, I love to go out to eat and rarely have issues. Look for my next blog - Lisa Shops Allergen Free at Rose's Bakery. Visit Chicagoland area restaurants, bakeries and grocery stores with me. Good news for non-Chicagoans, some of these places will ship!

Time to share one of our favorite recipes...

Who doesn't love ribs? These ribs fall off the bone and are so tender.

Barbequed Baby Back Ribs and Garlic Baked Potato



Serves 4

2 slabs baby back ribs
Kosher salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
3 tablespoons your favorite barbeque sauce

Pre-heat oven to 250°F.
Lightly rub Kosher salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder on ribs.
Very lightly baste with BBQ sauce.
Place ribs in roasting pan and add water until half full.
Tightly seal pan with aluminum foil.
Bake for 2 ½ hours or until desired tenderness.
Increase oven temperature to 275°F.
Remove foil and excess liquid from pan.
Baste with a thick coat of barbecue sauce.
Place back in 275°F oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes.

Garlic Baked Potato

Serves 4

4 medium baking potatoes, scrubbed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons garlic powder, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
ground black pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).

If you are cooking these with the ribs, you can cook for 1½ hours at 250°F.
Pour extra-virgin olive oil into a plastic bag. Measure the garlic powder and ground black pepper onto a plate, and stir around a little. Coat each potato with extra-virgin olive oil by placing in the bag, and moving it around. Remove from the bag, and dip into the seasoning. Rub seasoning into the potato to coat. Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack.
Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the potatoes feel soft when you squeeze them.

No comments: