Monday, October 20, 2008

Lost in Translation and Crock Pot Maple Syrup Baked Beans

When I was first diagnosed with allergies, I wanted so desperately to find substitutions for the foods I loved; and with great effort and time I kept trying to recreate favorites like pizza, lasagna, cakes and cookies with just minimal success. There are products out there for pizza; however, the difference in taste from what I knew was so vast that I decided it was better to do without. Of course making food substitutions will be different for everyone; but the point is some things just don’t translate that don’t include the allergens we can’t eat. With that said, it is important to keep trying, maybe you won’t make the best gluten, wheat, and dairy-free pizza, but instead you might invent a new recipe you absolutely love that is something else altogether. This is a marathon, not a sprint, so enjoy the ride, but don’t get too frustrated if you can’t have everything you once did. Your well being depends on your new choices.

These baked beans are delicious and easy to make, I use my crock pot so there is little to do once you have it in the pot.

Crock Pot Maple Syrup Baked Beans



Serves: 12

2 cups great white northern dried beans
4 slices bacon, diced
2 cups onions, finely diced
1 cup reserved bean liquid
1 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1½ cups real maple syrup
½ cup tomato puree
1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Soak beans overnight in cold water.
Drain and cover with cold water in 5-quart stock pot.
Bring beans to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Drain reserving liquid.
Mix other ingredients and add with beans in crock pot, cook on high for one hour.
Reduce heat to low and cook for 6-8 hours.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Lisa, thanks for sharing these recipes. It was so nice to see you in Jacksonville. I've added your blog to my blog list.