Wednesday, January 6, 2010

More Favorites for 2009: My Favorite Flours and Sweets

Before I get started, I wanted to share with you an allergy free recipe contest at Allergies and Me, you can win up to $150 in product from their on-line store, they will be showcasing some of my recipes on this site later this month. Please let me know if you submit a recipe, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

The best part about blogging and being part of the internet world is that I get to hear back from you, please share with us your favorites. Food manufacturers have come such a long way in the quality of foods that are safe for us, it’s only going to get better.

First Up - My Favorite Flours

Ok, fellow allergenistas, as we all know, every allergen free flour has its own consistency, taste and practical application. With that in mind, I will share with you how I use each flour, along with links to recipes using that flour.

  1. Bob Red Mill’ All Purpose Flour – I use this flour for cooking (to make roux and for the first step of the breading process) and my cinnamon sugar cookies and shortbreads. It is perfect for pie crusts that will hold savory filling, like my chicken pot pie . Bob uses Fava Bean flour in this mix, so the taste is a little stronger than other brands and is a little more coarse.
  2. Meister’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour – (contains soy) – I love this flour mix for all my cooking applications including roux, dredging and for breading. This flour also makes a seriously dangerous Angel Food Cake, (sorry for those of you that can’t eat egg). Try this recipe when you make my traditional gravy or Julia Child’s famous Boeuf Bourguignon
  3. Jule’s All Purpose Flour – I use this flour for my sugar cookies and any other basic baking recipe. Jule’s is always adding new recipes to her website using her flour and offering discounts on her products, I encourage you to try this flour mix if you are baking sweets. I haven’t tried Jule’s in my cooking applications, but can’t wait to!


My Favorite Sweets

Although I can’t eat sweets very often due to my sensitivities to refined sugars, on occasion I find my self “sampling” desserts. I want to share with you my favorites…

  1. SWIRLZ CupcakesWhat can I say about these decadent treats? Not only does SWIRLZ have a gluten free cupcake they also carry vegan (no egg or dairy) variety that is so good, you might need to invest in larger pants! Swirlz has been present at our Safe & Sound dinners, and is making a guest appearance at our dinner at LANDMARK Grill and Lounge on February 9th. Sorry allergenistas with soy allergies, SWIRLZ uses soy milk in their formula.
  2. Dr. Lucy’s Cookies – I found out about these cookies thru Peanutfreeplanet.com, they are so addictive and come in different flavors like cinnamon sugar, chocolate chip and oatmeal. Check your favorite flavor to see if it is safe for you.
  3. Ener-G Cinnamon Crackers – These crackers are crispy and sweet, you’d never know they are allergen free! The best part is they are multi-purpose, you can crumble them for pie crusts or just add milk for a sweet breakfast cereal. The ingredients include Filtered Water, Hi Maize Corn Starch, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Yellow Corn Flour, Xanthan Gum, Methylcellulose, Evaporate Cane Juice Sugar, Cinnamon Powder, Salt.
  4. Really Great Foods Aunt Tootsie’s Brownie Mix – I shared these brownies with the allergenistas at the THRIVE food allergy show, I was amazed at how close to the real thing these brownies were (sorry, for best results they require egg). The ingredients include: white rice flour, potato starch, Dutch cocoa, sugar, aluminum-free baking powder, vanilla powder, salt.
  5. Brother’s Natural Food Snacks – for those of you watching your waist after the holiday feeding frenzy, these healthy low-calorie treats hit the spot. Brothers-All-Natural Fruit Crisps are peanut/tree nut free, gluten free, soy free, dairy free, vegan, and OU kosher certified. They are dehydrated fruits in flavors including: Fuji Apple, Pineapple and Strawberry. You can sometimes find them at Costco, but they are always at Lil’s Dietary Specialty Shop .

No comments: