Saturday, February 6, 2010

Super Bowl Sunday Foods for Allergenistas

Who will win in Miami, while I don’t have the answer for that, I can tell you that you and your guests will win with a killer allergen free menu.
Below I have listed recipes from my collection that are perfect for your guests, whether or not they have food allergies…

Barbecue Ribs – cut these into individual ribs for easy grabbing
Chicken Fajitas
Beef Brisket sandwiches – just pick your favorite allergen free bread and you are on your way, these are great because they cook in a crock pot all day.
Guacamole
Fire Roasted Salsa
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo –New Orleans is playing after all…
Gram’s Favorite Chili
Gyros
Honey Lime Chicken Wings
Sloppy Joes

I also have included a quick and simple recipe for hummus, and a wonderful new product I found to go with this tasty dip at the Cermak Market on North Avenue called Risotto chips. These all natural chips, made by New York Style Brands, are produced on a dedicated gluten free line and contain 11 grams of whole grains. You can find Risotto Chips in Spicy Marinara, Parmesan & Roasted Garlic and Sea Salt. I emailed the manufacturer right after I got this product to find out if they used a dedicated line, they do and they even sent me full size bags to give out at the Safe & Sound dinner.

Boy, I hope the bag is going to fit all this stuff! Whole Foods Market – Halsted just gave us GF Brownie Mix and Enjoy Life Soft Baked Happy Apple Cookies I have so much extra product, I am thinking a recipe contest is in order to give away these great samples, what do you think allergenistas?
I also received coupons from Betty Crocker for a free package of one of their GF baking mixes… I haven’t tried these mixes yet, but can’t wait, any allergenistas want to share their experience?

If you wanted to get a little creative; sorry, I ran out of time to assemble this recipe, but you can do it, remember cooking is easy! Assemble a nice 3 layer dip with some guacamole, a puree of some canned black beans and a clove of garlic, tomatoes cut small or chunky salsa and voila, a perfect dip safe for everyone.

Hummus



2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more as needed, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
2 cloves garlic, peeled and roasted
1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup water
Paprika, for garnish

In a blender combine all the ingredients except the parsley and paprika to be used for garnish. Blend on low speed until smooth. You'll have to stop the blender often to push down the ingredients. If the mixture is too dry and you're having trouble blending it, add a few more tablespoons of olive oil to help things along.
Scrape the hummus onto a plate. Sprinkle the paprika over the top, drizzle lightly with olive oil, scatter some parsley on top, and serve. You can make the hummus up to a couple of hours before you serve it. Cover the top with plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature.

2 comments:

iampalegreen said...

Yum! Yum! and MORE YUM!! Those gluten free swag bags are practically overflowing!!!

I'm going to have to get some of those Risotto chips, they look amazing!

Unknown said...

I swear everytime I look at these pics I gain an extra 5 pounds. Delish!!